Last week one of the projects that I showed you was the totally groovy peace sign granny square from Petals to Picots. My mission was to turn it into a pincushion for lovely young lady named Phoenix who volunteers at our library. As you can see it was a terrific success and I'm overjoyed with the results. It's a simple project that came together in just a few hours. I made mine using Sugar 'n Cream Cotton in Sunshine, Hot Green and Psychedelic and a G hook.
1. Using the granny square pattern, make just the peace sign. For the base make a basic circle working in continuous rounds moving the stitch marker after each round.
2. When it's the same size as the peace sign work one round into the front loops only. That forms the little edge and allows you to start working up. Work 4 more continuous rounds making it about an inch and a half tall. Don't finish off. To give it a bit more structure using the peace sign as a template, cut a piece of cardboard to fit snugly in the bottom.
To make the cushion, using the cardboard circle as a guide, cut 2 pieces of fabric about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch larger than the cardboard.
3. Put the wrong sides of the fabric together and using a basting stitch sew around the circle. Leave 1/4 inch seam allowance and an 1 1/2 - 2 inch opening. Leave the needle and thread attached.
4. Turn the circle right side out and stuff with fiber fill. Over stuff so it's nice and firm and puffy. Fold the edges of the opening in and stitch closed.
5. Plump up your cushion and stuff it into the base. It should fit snugly. You could stop right here and have yourself a great little pincushion. In fact, that's exactly what we're going to be making at the next YA craft class at the library!
6. To finish, attach the peace sign to the base by single crocheting through the back loops of the base and the front loops of the peace sign. Fasten off and weave in the end.
Well that it'll do it for me today. I have all kinds of projects to share with you so please stop back and visit again. Thanks so much for spending a bit of your day with me,
Until next time friends,
Be blessed and stitch & read with love!
I'm Robin and this is
Click to see what's new on the Craftsy Crochet Blog!
Tutorials and Patterns
Places I Post
Thank you for visiting!
My name is Robin. I am a wife, mother and strong believer in the power of faith. I'm a maker, a crafter and an artist. I love exploring new mediums and sharing my adventures with you.
Did you enjoy your visit? Let me know by leaving a comment. I love knowing you dropped by, and hope to see you again soon!
Be Blessed and
Stitch & Read with Love!